Saturday, April 16, 2011

Home Nesting Update: Dining Nook

Yesterday, I finally made it out to IKEA and picked up a couple of needed items to complete some home projects. So, today I've been doing some much needed nesting! Jon and I live in an apartment and don't currently have an official dining space. When we aren't using the couch ottoman or the bar counter, we use this cute little fold out table up against a small wall as our "dining room". I've been wanting to display some of my vintage dinnerware and wedding gift pieces for awhile now. I didn't really think I'd have the room to do that until we got a larger living room space when we move into a home someday...but THEN, I came up with a super inexpensive and fun solution to make our little dining room nook have it's own apartment-sized display.

All I did was buy three floating shelves from IKEA at $8.00 a piece and had husby hang them right above our little fold out table...and here are the results!

- - - - -
- - - - -
- - - - -
- - - - -

Just to orient you a little, the living room TV is exactly to the right of the little office nook and the kitchen is exactly to the left of the little table. 

I'm super happy with how everything came together and how just adding these shelves really designated what was not intended to be a dining space to it's own little cozy area. Also, see the little fold out table I was mentioning above? Best piece of furniture Jon and I have bought so far. The front flap folds down to give you just a thin wall table and if we have more guests, we can lift up the other flap on the other side so it goes from sitting two comfortably to sitting 4-5, plus there are six little storage drawers that are amazing for organizing. PLUS, when we move into a home at some point, we can use this table in my studio. So versatile. Ok, I'm done with my sales pitch. But seriously. :)

Been working on any nesting projects lately?

18 comments:

  1. It looks absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great little spot - so happy and cheerful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous16.4.11

    I love it! So whimsical!

    And I could have used a table like that in my first apartment! I had to choose between a dining room table or a computer desk with such limited space. I think it's pretty obvious which one I went with, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely space! ECK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. seriously SUPER cute!!
    awesome job on designing the space.
    thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spot some cute little candles in that cupboard... xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. it looks so perfect. no projects yet on this end. just in the beginning stages of deciding how i want to scratch the nesting itch. :]

    ReplyDelete
  8. eeek!! so cute! i thought the first photo was straight out of a magazine! literally picture perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily Raffield17.4.11

    Look at you go. Amazing what 3 floating shelves can do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks fabulous! i love your collection of vintage dinnerware! you've inspired me to start one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks amazing. Isn't it a wonderful feeling when you can sit down in a pretty spot for b-fast with your hunny??? My fave part of everyday :) Lovely collection of vintage glassware.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a gorgeous little space! I love how you have everything arranged!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is exactly how I would want my kitchen to look! Love all the patterns and the arrangements. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nicely done! Love your little owls sooo much - and your Pyrex? Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love your cups! are those pyrex too? You did a great job in here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm crazy about this!! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete